- Each child or young adult is a valued member of society.
- We believe that we can positively impact each individual's life through the educational process.
- Special Education is a service, not a place.
- The starting point for serving all children and young adults is the general education classroom in their neighborhood school. Whenever possible, children and young adults should be educated with their non - disabled peers
- Special Education should support the basic instructional program rather than supplant it.
- Special Education is part of the instructional continuum of services and programs provided by the school district to meet the diverse interests, needs and ability levels of its children and young adults
- A well-trained general and special education staff committed to serving children and young adults with disabilities is essential in meeting the department's mission to provide each individual with appropriate and meaningful education.
- Promote, organize and coordinate the delivery of a comprehensive program of special education and related services for students with special needs.
- Provide a quality spectrum of services to meet the individual needs of students while placing students in the Least Restrictive Environment.
- Promote a positive parent-school partnership that strongly believes in the collaborative efforts of staff and parents in designing individual programs that enhance each child's development.
- Provide relevant learning experiences that will be applied in the home, community, and in the workplace.
Office of Special Services
Bernards Township School District
70 W. Oak Street
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920