Get the Facts!
When is it required?
How can I find it?
How will it count?
We believe that community service is a vehicle through which students can facilitate a positive change in their community. This webpage will help students understand the different types of community service and the community service projects available at the high school and throughout the community.
Community service hours are required in two areas at Ridge High School, and students who accumulate different levels of service hours are recognized at the end of the school year. See below for a description of each.
Required Community Service
- American History Course Requirement:
All students in American History (CP and Honors) must complete 25 hours of community service.
- Click HERE for a letter detailing this course requirement.
- Community Service organizations NOT included on the "List of Approved Organizations for the American History Community Service Requirement" require prior approval of the teacher or administration. Click HERE for the list of approved organizations.
Click HERE for the Community Service Reflection Assignment.
- Click HERE for the Community Service Log.
- Click HERE for the online approval form, to be completed if your service organization is NOT on the above list of approved organizations.
- National Honor Society Community Service Requirement:
The National Honor Society values service to one's school and community. During the selection process, students must demonstrate to the selection committee three distinction sustained activities - community service is an excellent idea. Once chosen as a NHS member, students are required to commit to volunteer at a charitable, non-profit organization for twelve hours or more and volunteer in supporting three different school functions such as back-to-school night, graduation, the various theater plays, dance performances, and music concerts.
Optional Community Service
- RHS Community Service (Optional):
You can make a difference! This RHS Community Service Program is an optional program in which students can volunteer their time while helping to strengthen their community. The deadline to report any qualifying community service hours performed during the 2011-2012 school year (period covering May 1, 2011 – April 30, 2012) is Tuesday, May 1, 2012. Please click HERE to view the RHS Community Service Recognition Criteria and to receive a Service Record Form.
- Ridge High School Community Service Award
- Ridge High School will recognize and reward the most creative and meaningful community service project engaged in by a student club, team, or group related to this year’s designated theme, for their community service efforts. The project will be recognized at Senior Awards Night and the most successful student group will receive a cash award of at least $1500 to be divided between the service recipient and the school district. Guidelines and evaluation criteria are detailed below. This year’s award will be sponsored by the Bernards Township Education Foundation.
- Click HERE for Guidelines, Time line and Evaluation Criteria
- Click HERE for Project Proposal Form
- Click HERE for Project Reflection Form
Community Service Opportunities & Contact Information
Volunteers are needed to assist with local events raising awareness for Room To Read. It is a global 501(c)3 organization providing education and literacy training for millions of impoverished children in Africa and Asia.
Click HERE for more info.
One 2 One Mentoring Program:
Click HERE for more info.
Peer 2 Peer Adventures:
Peer2 Peer is looking for peer mentors to join students with special needs on local social trips. Please click HERE for additional details.
Contact Information for Local Community Service Opportunties: Are you looking to help the community? Would you like to volunteer some of your time? Attached please find a listing of organizations that prior Ridge High students have volunteered at. Click HERE for the listing.
Special Ed Mentoring Program - Peer Mentors Wanted: Special services is looking for student volunteers to help teach social and leisure skills to students with autism during lunch or after school. Please see Ms Deitchman or Ms Pavlik for details. Click HERE for more info.
Local History Service Information: Do you like local history? Here's a great way to become involved in working with other teens from around the Somerset Hills area and build friendships, share ideas, and increase your knowledge of history in your community. It's your history.... help preserve it! Click HERE for more info.
SHARE Teen Volunteer:
SHARE in Africa (www.shareinafrica.org) is a charity founded by Shannon McNamara (2011 RHS graduate) to promote education for girls. Since 2008 RHS students have volunteered hundreds of hours with SHARE. Click HERE for more info.
Bernards Township Faculty Projects
Any Bernards Township staff who through classroom or club activities has a community service opportunity, we encourage you to consider sponsoring a community service project. For more information please click HERE to view additional details and please click HERE to obtain a Community Service Opportunity Approval Form.